A cold winter day in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania …
The Cathedral of Learning depicted in the plate above is, as of 2008, the tallest educational building in the western hemisphere and the third tallest in the world. This 42 story building belongs to the University of Pittsburgh and was completed in 1937, though the first classes were held in the uncompleted building in 1931.
The Heinz Memorial Chapel depicted above was completed in 1938, a few weeks after the death of its designer Charles Klauder. Its steeples rises 77 meters above the ground though it’s dwarfed by the adjacent Cathedral of Learning.
Erected in 1940, the Charles Anderson Memorial Bridge connects Oakland with Schenley Park. Charles Anderson served in the Pittsburgh City Council between the 1920s and 1930s.
The tip of the original 150 feet tall smokestack at the “Cloud Factory”. A second stack was added later and extends over 200 feet into the sky.